These instructions should be taken as a guideline only.
Suckling pigs are usually a minimum weight of 8kg. Allow at least 1lb/0.45kg of pork per person.
- 1.6kg pork belly
- 3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp treacle
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 onion, whizzed in a food processor
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp crushed dried chillies
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2, then sit the pork belly in a deep roasting dish. Mix the remaining ingredients with 1 tsp salt, then rub all over the pork. Cover, roast for 3 hrs, then uncover, slice the pork into 16 short, fat chops. Spoon over the sauce from the dish, then roast, uncovered, for another hour, turning the strips halfway. Cool, cover, then chill for up to 24 hours.
- About 15 mins before you are ready to barbecue, pop the pork into a low oven to melt the sauce making sure the strips are nicely coated in it. Barbecue, skin-side down first, to crisp up, then cook for just a few mins, turning, until heated through and the sauce is sticky.